Author: Edwin Simiyu
The late Dr Stephen Mogusu was a Kenyan doctor who Trained for seven years and died due to Covid-19 virus in Kenyatta University Teaching, Referral and Research Hospital. The late sent a WhatsApp message to his colleagues urging them to get their pay or get out when they can with their health or life intact. Below is a screenshot of his message before succumbing to death.
Dr Mogusu according to KMPDU tweet on Monday,
- He worked for five months without pay
- Had no insurance cover
- His family had not been compensated
However, Kenyan doctors working environment has raised alarm since
- No PPEs to protect them against Covid-19 pandemic
- They have not received payments for the last five months
In comparison to Cuban doctors;
- They receive a salary of Ksh.800,000 per month
- Free transport
- Free accommodation
- Free 24 hours security
- Insurance cover
Nurses through Kenya National Union of Nurses (Knun) commenced striking on Monday about need for improvement of their working environment and too demanding the young family of the late be compensated.